Wednesday, December 12, 2012

White with flakies and green snowflake accent - snowflake tutorial

I used several different flakies for this! (Read: A lot.) I sorta collect flakies. And was mostly playing around with making a snowflake tutorial; I didn't expect to compliment the snowflake middle finger with white. I love how subtle the flakies are over white, it really goes with the snowflake.

I also cut my thumb nails they were starting to bend when I went to bed and as I slept. :/

But anyway! On to the tutorial!

Here are the polishes I used... there was a few fingers where I put a similar polish on top because the effect wasn't as strong as I wanted it. (IE: I combined the some what crappy ELF flakie with the Color Club Snow Flakes.)


  • Pure Ice white
  • Thumb: Studio M: Covered in Diamonds
  • Pointer: Novelty snowman flakie
  • Midde: CQ'sCobalt again with China Glaze SnowGlobe and random white striping brush
  • Ring: ELF flakie with Color Club snow flakes on top (much better with CC)
  • Pinky: Candie's White Noise
Maan. This is going to be ~fun~ to remove! Haha. I did use a striping brush entirely for the snowflake, which is why the polish looks kinda thick-ish.

The only polishes you need for the snowflake alone are a white striping brush, a holographic glitter, and a green base if that's the route you want to take. I'm including the other polishes since I put a ton of flakies on the others.



1. Start by removing old polish, letting dry, and applying your base coat. I use Orly's Bonder. Then apply one or two coats of your base color. I'm using CQ - Cobalt which is a dark-ish green. It needed 2 coats to not be streaky.


2. Let dry a bit. I usually apply a top coat after a few minutes, just for extra insurance on chipping and such. Not to mention, at this point I usually forget I had to pee and i go do that after it's mostly dry. After that, put on two layers of the glitter you want to use. I used China Glaze's Snow Globe. Any glitter that's not too large and not TOO distracting will work. You still want the snowflake to show up. :) (I contemplated using Finger Paint's Santa's Magic but it's wayyy too much, I think, not to mention it's silver--white wouldn't show up as well!)


3. Glitters usually dry relatively fast so no need for top coat, just wait a few minutes. Next, take your white striping brush and apply three lines like so.


4. Ok. Next... you're wanting to make V shapes coming really near the top. You still want to leave a portion of the top poking out. I've seen designs of snowflakes with multiple "V"'s on each "branch" if you will, but I messed it up multiple times trying that. :/ Maybe it's because my striping brush polish is a bit on the thick side. (All of them are -_-)


5. Finish the V's on all 3 branches. Take your striping brush and make a circle (half circle actually) on the bottom of the branches. Fill it in with the polish.With the striping polish, because it's thick, give it a few minutes to make sure it dries properly before applying top coat or you'll smudge it. ALSO. On the original photo I posted, I made little dots at the very top of the branches. It's another way to design snowflakes, but I didn't like it. Would have turned out better if I had a finer tipped brush, I think. Top coat usually smooths it out, too and makes the snowflake white not look as thick and bumpy.


Clean it up and bam, relatively easy snowflake tutorial! :)

And just because I hate to make a second post on the same mani, here is what I did with the rest of it (I was originally just going to do one finger.)

CURSED HAIR!!!! *FLAIL*
1. Novelty snowman
2. CQ Cobalt, China Glaze Snowglobe, striping polish in white
3. ELF polish below Color Club SnowFlakes
4. Candie's White Noise

This is Studio M Covered in Diamonds.

















1 comment: